Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 351B & 1611A research futility.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mazeppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    351B & 1611A research futility.

    I'm not coming up with much for these two items. The Altec website doesn't show me an option to research archives for documentation on vintage equipment, perhaps it's there and I'm not seeing it?

    These have been in storage many years. My cousin inherited them from his father who operated, installed and repaired theater equipment from the early 50's to the late 70's. I've taken on the task of trying to get them in working order for him to use as home stereo. All I've done so far is some cleaning as I'd really like to know more about them in particular, and more about safely energizing equipment of such obvious vintage for the first time.

    This is my first experience with Altec equipment. The 351B is the first solid state amp Ive seen that is wired point to point. All components with a "Made In" label say "USA", so apparently the 351B was a very early solid state amp. The 1611A Mixer/Amplifier seems a little more contemporary, but certainly no spring chicken, either.

    Both appear to be transformer coupled, and to have transformer isolated inputs as well. Cases are of aluminum with steel sub frames. Very interesting, and they just reek of high quality.

    I've taken some so-so quality photos that can be seen here:

    Altec 351B pictures by Mazeppa_photos - Photobucket

    Altec 1611A pictures by Mazeppa_photos - Photobucket

    I'd really appreciate any insight, advice, links to info sites that y'all think think might
    help me on my quest to get these Altecs singing once again.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    351B & 1611A research futility.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 351B & 1611A research futility.

    They date from around 1963 or so.

    Have you tried Iratech? Probably your only hope.....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 351B & 1611A research futility.

    i've heard the the 351, was the first solid state altec amp.

    i've got one, altho i have yet to get it to function properly.
    Last edited by tomt; May 28th, 2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: 21
    guns kill people,

    like spoons made rush limbaugh,

    fat ....

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mazeppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 351B & 1611A research futility.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    i've heard the the 351, was the first solid state altec amp.

    i've got one, altho i have yet to get it to function properly.
    I would be most interested in a summary of your efforts w/the 351.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mazeppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 351B & 1611A research futility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    They date from around 1963 or so.

    Have you tried Iratech? Probably your only hope.....
    Ah, with Great Plains Audio I see. Thanks for the tip.

    If only I lived wtihin a reasonable drive of OKC, I'd have them over to Ira in a heartbeat for testing. Lotta iron in these things, shipping would get too far into the pocketbook I'm afraid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.